HISTORY OF PEACE MEMORIAL PARK

Peace Memorial Park stands on what was known as Gaol Close.  This land was purchased in 1921 from Mr Albert Hill, with the intention of “establishing a Memorial of the Peace which terminated the Great War”.
 
The cost paid by the Council was £741.10s, some of which was raised by public subscription.   The land was then laid out as a park which included a bowling green.

Here you will find a brief pictorial history of Peace Memorial Park since its dedication in 1921, up to the present day.


The original Conveyance, following completion of the land purchase in April 1921.



A view of the original Pavilion circa 1933, with Mr Pawley at work on the bowling green


(Photo and article reproduced by kind permission of Mr Brian Screaton and the Leicester Mercury)

The above article records gardening activity in the Park in the mid-1950s



(Photo and article reproduced by kind permission of Mr Brian Screaton and the Leicester Mercury)

A further article in March 2009 revealed the gardener's name - Mr Joseph Dickinson Granger of Wigston



A view across the front of the Park towards the Bowling Green, circa 1960



The second Bowls Club Pavilion soon after its opening in 1978